Heller began in 1836 in Newark, New Jersey, became a partnership, Heller & Brothers, in 1865, and in 1899 incorporated as Heller Brothers Company.
In 1917 Heller bought:
Johnson & Brothers File Co., Newark, New Jersey
Rex File Co., Newcomerstown, Ohio
Vixen Tool Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
In the following 12 years Heller bought:
Masterwrench Corp., Turlock, California
Triple A File Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Continental File Co., Anderson, Indiana
Filecraft, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio
In 1928 Heller Brothers of Ohio was incorporated.
In 1943 Heller bought Stokes Brothers Mfg. Co., Freehold, New Jersey.
In 1944, Heller bought American Swiss File & Tool Co., Elizabeth, NJ and Murcott & Campbell Co., Brooklyn, NY.
Heller Brothers of Ohio was at 641 Heller Drive, Newcomerstown, Ohio, and eventually all production shifted to Ohio. The Heller family sold the company to Simonds in 1955 and the name changed to Heller Tool Co. Simonds began producing all its files in the Ohio plant in 1960, and closed it in 2006. Heller had strong employee loyalty in Newcomerstown, and many residents retain a strong attachment to the company.
The Newark plant at 849 Mount Prospect Ave. (corner of Verona Ave.) is still standing and can be seen on Google Maps. Google Maps
|Heller Brothers building, Newark|
|Heller Brothers file box|
|Heller Tool Co. file box|
|Heller Nucut file box|
|Heller Brothers themed quilt|